If accepted to the Academy you will...
- Develop specific skills to achieve effectiveness in leadership, business and life.
- Enjoy interactive & transformative personal development training.
- Develop the confidence to embrace the responsibility and rewards of Leadership
- Cultivate and develop your personal leadership style
- Meet legislators and promote homeownership at C.A.R.’s Legislative Day in Sacramento
- Monday, June 10 in Fountain Valley: 10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M.
- Friday, June 14 in Laguna Hills: 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.
Deadline to apply: July 1, 2019 by 5:00 PM
Submit Applications to Sandra@ocar.org.
If you are selected to participate, the fee to attend the Orange County REALTORS Leadership Academy is $297 plus a total contribution of $197 to the REALTOR® Action Fund (RAF) Payment is due by September 3, 2019, and contribution to the RAF must be made by January 13, 2020. Non-member fee is $500, plus a contribution of $197 to RAF. *The $197 RAF contribution must be made before January 13, 2020.
Eric Wu, Leadership Academy Class of 2016-2017, Excelerate Capital, 2019 Orange County REALTORS® Director and Committee Chair, C.A.R. Director
"The Leadership Academy helped me to become 'Affiliate of the Year', to be named 'YPN's Most Valuable Member', and to be appointed as the 'State Chair of C.A.R.'s YPN'. You never know starting out how the Leadership Academy will benefit you down the line!"
Liz Lewis, Leadership Academy Class of 2016-2017, Broker/Owner Entourage Real Estate Professionals, 2019 Orange County REALTORS® Director and Committee Chair, C.A.R. Director, Women's Council of REALTORS® District Vice President
"The Leadership Academy directly helped my business - I became more thoughtful and a more connected and educated professional. I've always been involved with real estate organizations but after attending the Academy, it's taken my involvement and career to an entirely new level!"
Frequently Asked Questions
The mission of the Orange County REALTORS® Leadership Academy is to help participants develop specific skills and perspective to achieve effectiveness in leadership, business and life; and to develop the confidence to embrace the responsibility to serve as a leader in the real estate industry and the community.
How can I apply?
pdf Click here (125 KB) to access the Application Form.
Who's eligible to apply?
REALTORS and Affiliate members, of the Orange County REALTORS® who are current members in good standing. Members of other real estate related associations and organizations may also apply, but if selected will be subject to the non-member rate to attend.
Would the program be a good use of my time?
If you are thinking of applying and you’d like to know more, you are invited to attend an informational meet and greet on Monday, June 10 from 10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. at our Fountain Valley office or Friday, June 14 from 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M. at our Laguna Hills office.
Hosted by Academy founder, Rita Tayenaka, and several Leadership Academy alumni, you’ll get the opportunity to hear the inside scoop from those who graduated from the Academy. Was the experience truly as life-changing and transformational as you’ve heard? Come and find out!
What is the deadline?
Applications must be submitted by Monday, July 1 at 5 pm.
What can I expect from the program?
The Orange County REALTORS® Leadership Academy offers participants and graduates an opportunity to meet other motivated leaders and to share an intensive learning experience that focuses on leadership skills, team, professional, and personal development.
Participants will learn about the major components of Association Management, the vital role of the Director and Leadership strategies by lectures, hands-on workshops, guest speakers, assessments, and interactive activities and discussions. The Academy culminates with a trip to C.A.R.’s Legislative Day in Sacramento.
What is the Selection Process?
The Leadership Development Committee will review all applications that are submitted by the deadline. Due to space limitations, not all eligible applicants are guaranteed acceptance into the program. Up to eighteen (18) REALTOR® applicants and up to two (2) Affiliate applicants for a maximum of twenty (20) participants will be selected to participate.
- Must have a sincere commitment and motivation, to serve the community, industry, and Orange County REALTORS®.
- Must understand a leadership position is not only a privilege but also a responsibility.
- Must have a servant’s heart and be willing to sacrifice time and energy to better an organization or the community.
- Must have demonstrated a commitment to involvement in community, association and industry activities.
- Must have the intent to seek positions on boards, commissions, or leadership roles in the community, industry organizations, and Orange County REALTORS®.
- Must commit the time and energy required to complete the entire program including homework, attendance at a class, event and committee meeting, and respond promptly to surveys and information requests.
- Member applicants must maintain their Orange County REALTORS® or Affiliate membership during the program.
- Must complete and sign an agreement outlining responsibilities and commitment as a Leadership Academy member, and also a Confidential Information Agreement if accepted as a participant of the 2019-2020 Academy.
- Resumes may also be submitted, but cannot be substituted instead of a completed application.
- Completion of the Leadership Academy does not guarantee a leadership position within Orange County REALTORS® or any other organization.
An e-mail acknowledgment sent to the address listed in the application will confirm receipt of the submitted form. A second email will be sent if the application is incomplete or missing information.
How and when will I be notified of the Selection Committee's decision?
All applicants will be notified of their status via e-mail or phone the week of Monday, July 15, 2019.
Is there a fee for the program?
Yes, if you are selected to participate, the fee to attend the Orange County REALTORS Leadership Academy is $297 plus a total contribution of $197 to the REALTOR® Action Fund (RAF) Payment is due by September 3, 2019, and contribution to the RAF must be made by January 13, 2020. Non-member fee is $500, plus a contribution of $197 to RAF.
Additionally, if selected to participate you are responsible for the cost of any travel expenses for the C.A.R. Legislative Day trip should you no-show.
If selected, do I have to attend all sessions?
For a participant to graduate from the Leadership Academy, they are expected to commit to attending ALL sessions. In extenuating circumstances, a written excused absence for one class only will be considered for an excused absence by class facilitators. NOTE: Failure to complete the Academy requirements may affect your ability to graduate and eligibility as a candidate for the Orange County REALTORS® Board of Directors.
2019-2020 Orange County REALTORS® Leadership Academy Schedule:
- September 10, 2019 - Orientation/Leadership Qualities (Laguna Hills)
- October 8, 2019 - TBD (Fountain Valley)
- November 12, 2019 - TBD (Laguna Hills)
- December 10, 2019 - TBD (Fountain Valley)
- January 8, 2020 - TBD (Laguna Hills)
- February 11, 2020 - TBD (Fountain Valley)
- March 10, 2020 - TBD (Laguna Hills)
- April 14, 2020 - TBD (Fountain Valley)
- April 28 - April 30, 2020 - C.A.R. Legislative Day (Sacramento)
- June 2020 - Graduation Party – location TBD
Locations and time of Academy Modules:
Modules are scheduled on the second Tuesday of every month from 11:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M., alternating between the Laguna Hills (25552 La Paz Road,) and Fountain Valley (10540 Talbert Avenue) office locations of Orange County REALTORS®. Locations are subject to change. C.A.R. Legislative Day is held in Sacramento, Ca.
Contact: Sandra Lopez, Director of Member Services and Staff Relations. email@example.com or 949-586.6800 Ext. 135.