You deserve recognition for your long-term commitment to organized real estate!
The California and the National Associations of REALTORS® offer honorary memberships if you meet eligibility requirements. Currently any applications submitted will be considered in 2018 for a waiver of 2019 dues. The CalBRE offers an exemption from continuing education if you meet licensing criteria.
California Association of REALTORS®: Honorary Member-for-Life
- 25 years of accumulated C.A.R. Membership
- 75 years of age or older
- Complete C.A.R.’s Honorary Member-for-Life pdf Application (24 KB)
- Applications submitted prior to 25 years of accumulated C.A.R. membership cannot be accepted.
- Fax application with a copy of your Driver's License to OC REALTORS® (949) 586-0382 (attn: Ellie)
The Honorary Member-for-Life application requires approval of the C.A.R. Membership Committee and the Board of Directors at one of its three annual membership meetings C.A.R. must receive the application in advance of the meetings in order to be effective (if approved) for the following dues year.
Upcoming Application Deadlines
- August 24, 2018
National Association of REALTORS®: REALTOR® Emeritus
- 40 years of cumulative National Association of REALTORS® membership
- Must have completed at least one year of service at the National Association level (However, for applications filed through 2019, the one year service requirement may also be met through service at the state or local level)
- Contact Ellie Cohen at OC REALTORS® Laguna Hills to apply
- OC REALTORS® will submit your application electronically to NAR
- August 24, 2018
A dues waiver does not take effect until the following “dues season.” REALTOR® Emeritus members are exempt from the Quadrennial Ethics Training requirement. Additional information and application requirements are available on NAR's website.
California Bureau of Real Estate: Exemption of Continuing Education Courses
Real estate licensees who are 70 years of age or older and have been "licensees in good standing" for 30 continuous years are exempt from the continuing education requirements for license renewal.
To file an exemption with the CalBRE (not OC REALTORS®):
- Submit CalBRE Form pdf RE213 Continuing Education Extension / Exemption Request (332 KB) , plus your fee prior to your license expiring.
- Include a copy of your birth certificate or driver's license and supporting documents indicating the number of years you have been licensed.
- If you are applying for the exemption for the first time, your renewal application must be submitted by mail or in person. If an exemption has been granted, you may file your renewal application using eLicensing.
Please contact CalBRE if you have questions about the exemption requirements.